I found a grey hair.
That's weird, I thought, I've never had any blond hairs grow from the root before, I've always had to dye those in. It's a summertime miracle!
But then I looked closer and saw that both the light and my deluded brain were playing tricks on me. The strand before me was quite clearly grey.
And it's not all that surprising. On Friday of this week I will turn 29. That big serious age that comes right before 30 when I'll have to stop spending Friday nights chomping through cheese puffs and start acting like a proper person.
But thankfully my years have not been completely wasted; I have at least learnt a thing or two. So this week, with my birthday on the horizon and the dawn of my thirtieth year just around the corner (WHY GOD, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?), I thought I would share the top 29 of those things - one for every year of my existence. Feel free to thank me for my wisdom on Friday with cake.
1. Pants-wise, there comes a time when only full knickers will do. That time is now.
2. A house without cheese is like a purse the day before payday. Empty and hopeless.
3. One should buy the amount of chocolate one intends to eat. You will not save the other half until tomorrow, you are lying.
6. Pumps are not shoes, they are outdoor slippers. If it hasn't got a strap and a solid sole, I'm not wearing it.
7. Mascara is the greatest invention of all time.
9. My mum was right; you really shouldn't walk around whilst cleaning your teeth. That sh*t gets everywhere.
10. She also said that everything will look better in the morning. And she was right. (Except my face. After six hours crushed into a pillow, that looks MUCH worse. See points 7 and 8 for the solution).
12. You have rarely truly lost a pair of earrings; they are just waiting for you in a handbag you've forgotten you own.
13. Life is too short to drink 'from concentrate' fruit juice.
14. Under no circumstances should a working person be expected to go out on a Monday night.
15. Your relationship with your other half should be the easiest of all. The rest of the world will bring you plenty of drama to help keep things interesting.
16. Two-ply tissues aren't worth anybody's time or money.
17. It is never worth spending lots of money on an umbrella, sunglasses or gloves. It's like they want you to lose them.
18. However much a pair of heels are hurting your feet, don't take them off until you get home. Putting them back on again to travel will bring more pain than any human should endure.
19. If you want an adult to sleep anywhere other than their own bed, you need to make it seriously worth their while.
21. Regardless of the circumstances, from the moment a woman decides that she's going to bed, she is always at least half an hour from laying her head on the pillow.
22. If you have to chase somebody just to keep them in your life, it's probably not worth the effort. (Unless that person is driving an ice cream van in which case RUN!)
23. There is no greater feeling on earth than getting into a freshly changed bed with newly shaved legs. (Whether they're your own or someone else's.)
24. If you notice that a person has food or pen on their face, it is your duty to let them know.
25. Cooking rice is 100% easier if you read the instructions on the packet. Who knew?
27. If you can leave a job having made just two good friends, that is a major achievement.
28. A sandwich served without crisps is like a day without sunshine. Just a massive waste of everybody's time.